AEVR Educational Activities
Alliance for Eye and Vision Research (AEVR) educational activities have included:
- In 2018, AEVR held two March briefings - a World Glaucoma Day 2018 briefing on customized Glaucoma treatments , and a Defense-related research briefing on Whole Eye Transplantation. In July, AEVR marked Dry Eye Awareness Month 2018 with a briefing and screening event. Finally, in September, AEVR recognized International Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) Awareness Week with a briefing that discussed the dry form of AMD.
- In 2017, AEVR started the year with its annual World Glaucoma Week Briefing and then its regular Defense-related vision research briefing. In July, AEVR recognized Dry Eye Awareness Month with a Capitol Hill Briefing, Screening, and Poster Session. In September, AEVR held its annual International Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) Awareness Week Congressional Briefing, and concluded the year with a briefing marking the first-ever World Keratoconus Day.
- In 2016, AEVR hosted its annual World Glaucoma Week Briefing in March, followed by its annual Defense-related vision research briefing. In June, AEVR hosted a brieing on Chronic Dry Eye, and then the year concluded with AEVR's regular International AMD Awareness Week 2016 Congressional Briefing
- In 2015, hosting its annual World Glaucoma Week Briefing, and another Defense-related vision research briefing, its first-ever briefing on Uveitis, and its annual International AMD Week briefing. In addition, AEVR hosted 21 young investigators from across the United States for a Capitol Hill reception highlighting their research.
- In 2014, hosting a World Glaucoma Week Briefing about the Genetic Basis of Glaucoma, holding another in its series of Defense-related research on the development of a Novel Patch for Ocular Trauma, and holding its annual International AMD Week Briefing.
- In 2013, hosting its fourth briefing on defense-related medical research, this time focusing on computer modeling of primary blast trauma, and holding a World Glaucoma Week 2013 briefing, and a International AMD Awareness Week 2013 briefing In addition, AEVR released the results of a Attitudinal Survey on the public's view about vison and vision loss, along with an updated Vision and Blindness Fact Sheet
- In 2012, briefing Congressional staff as part of World Glaucoma week and releasing the updated The Silver Book®: Vision Loss Volume II at the briefing, holding its third annual briefing on defense-related vision research, supporting VA Research Week, holding its annual International AMD Awareness Week briefing, and participating in World Sight Day 2012. AEVR also released a Value of Defense-related Vision Research brochure.
- In 2011, holding its second briefing on defense-related medical research, focusing on visual dysfunction associated with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), recognizing World Glaucoma Week with a briefing that featured real-time OCT imaging, holding a joint briefing with Foundation Fighting Blindness on drug discovery technology, and a September briefing on Lifestyle and AMD
- In 2010, holding its first-ever briefing on defense-related medical research, participating in World Glaucoma Week 2010, holding a briefing on the development of an artificial retina, cosponsoring a briefing on Low Vision and Vision Rehabilitation, and recognizing International Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) Awareness Week 2010.
- In 2009, marking World Glaucoma Day 2009 with a Hill Briefing, and highlighting new research on Age-related Macular Degeneration
- In 2008 holding a September briefing on AMD research, a June 2008 briefing on the latest advancements in Gene Therapy treatments for blindness, and a February 2008 briefing on Optical Coherence Tomography
- In 2007, hosting briefings on Genes and Lifestyle, Children's Vision Health, and joining with the Foundation Fighting Blindness at an October 2007 briefing on Rare Retinal Diseases.
- In 2006 hosting briefings on Diabetic Retinopathy, new developments in Visual Imaging, and on Chronic Dry Eye.
- In 2005, hosting Congressional briefings on Glaucoma Detection and Treatment, on the Discovery of a Gene Associated with AMD, and Diabetic Retinopathy.
- In 2004, Hosting Congressional briefings on The Aging Eye and Vision Health Disparities Research, which featured results of recent NEI-sponsored epidemiological studies about the growing public health problem of eye disease and vision impairment.
For more information about AEVR Congressional Briefings, click here.